Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Finding new members

Hello can I tell you about the word Bob?






Recruiting in Eve Online is one of the most interesting, and possibly one of the more frustrating things in the game.  I'll try to cover Recruiting in Eve as best I can, and from how I started to where I am.

So you've started a Corp. and now you are looking to fill it?  Well there are a lot of options out there to you, and as a new CEO you may not even know some of these exist!  These are not rated in any kind of order of which is better than the other.


1.  Corp. Advert:  If you are looking for new members using this is a must especially when looking for new players.  Setting this up I feel is pretty important as it's a direct representation of your Corp. and how you do business.  Filling this out with what you can do, and what you do not do is key to finding the right people you are looking for.  Put your own flair to it, and you would be surprised how many members you can pick up from it.  That being said it tends to run in spurts when you hit milestones like the sliding scale; 10, 50, 100, and etc.  Once you hit those you'll see a marked increase in applications when you hit those numbers as your advert tends to populate more on the recruiting page.  Be sure to set it up with a recruiting chat channel, and throw some people in there that can be good at talking, and helping people through your recruiting process.

2.  New Player Help:  You remember being new to Eve right?  Well there is a Rookie help channel you join when you first start a new character, and if you have time sitting in there and helping can bring people to you.  After helping a couple of people in that chat they later asked me if they could join win win I say!

3.  Gate to Gate:  Hitting the Stations, belts, and mission areas looking for people I find the best luck in myself.  If looking for miners I'll grab an Orca with some ships, and make my way to the systems around a starter system.  Normally I start at a .5 and make my way up to the 1.0 area hitting all the belts in a Procurer, or my Orca depending.  Then I just chat up any player not in a Corp. or those who started there own, but they are the only one in there.  If they are not interested I'll see if they need any help, and hang out for a bit.  If I have done any mining I jet can the Ore, and abandon it next to him on my way out.  Mission running is a bit different I'll run some missions, and look for players in need of advice or help, and try to do my best.  These tend to be the ones that are not in a Corp., and are needing some guidance on fitting or finishing off a room etc...  PvP is a bit tougher as normally you just popped your potential recruit!  But all is not lost saying Good Fight in local, and paying for his ship loss ( within reason), or starting a convo talking to him about things he could have done better could get you a new member.

4.  Forums:  I haven't had any luck on forums, but it is a tool none the less!  If I could suggest a site its Eve University's.  They have a Work Fair thread where you can put up your recruiting information once you register.

5.  Real Life:  You'd be surprised who plays video games, and telling people you play one like Eve isn't near as looked down on as it used to be.  So talk about Eve to others wouldn't you want someone you actually know flying the ship next to you?


The Interview

 



Every Corp. is different, and they should be!  Stay Frosty. is a totally open PvP Pirate corp for example.  The key is letting them know what you expect/want, and ask questions to better figure out who you have that wants to join.  I normally ask things like what do they want to do in Eve?  Do you have Team Speak?  What are your play times? Etc. Etc.  I've found out this way that English may not be the person's first language which is important as a lot of things can be lost in translation.  I do not tell them everything till I have checked out their API (more to follow on that), and kind of got a better of idea of who I have been typing at.

Background Check:  Like with the Interview this is subject to how you do things.  Our Alliance requires a Account Wide non-expiry API in order to join.  This may seem intrusive and in regards it can be, but it's a check that everyone uses to prove you are who say you are.  I use Evemon a free program to check the API's I get submitted.  I also check sites like;  Eve Who and zKillboard these help me get a different look at their information.

I am sure there is more that you or your group does, but Eve is back on line and I need to get in!

-Orion

No comments:

Post a Comment