Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Skill Training for new Pilots and my Procurer

This is one of the hardest things for a new pilot to figure out.  Lots of options, and normally when you first fire up Eve it can be over whelming looking at everything.  So the TL:DR (too long didnt read) pick a ship you'd like fly and skill toward it.



High end corps/alliance/coalitions tell you what you will skill toward.  That's even if you make their SP (skill point) requirement!  

I take on brand a lot new pilots still in trial or just getting their first 30 days in.  I've been lucky some have stayed, and grown with us!  So the leadership will get asked what they should skill toward, to get better.   I ask what do they think they'd like to do.   Because at the end of the day if they aren't happy then they don't log in or work toward your goals at all. 

If I do make a suggestion I start with mining, or PvE especially with very new players.  Why? Because ask anyone PvP doesn't pay out for new pilots, and getting ISK early on is the name of the game.  My first suggestion is to create a goal, pick a ship you like that fits that role and start skilling to sit in it.  

We'll go with mining in this instance, and my suggestion as a goal for new members to skill towards.

The mighty Procurer!



Mining Barge bonuses (per skill level):

5% bonus to ship shield hitpoints

2% reduction in Strip Miner and Ice Harvester duration

Role Bonus:
150% bonus to Strip Miner yield
60% reduction in Ice Harvester duration and activation cost
50% bonus to drone damage and hitpoints

This is by far the ship for newer members.

Source of information from Eve Uni:
http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Procurer

I am in the minority in fitting these or any mining ship, because I choose tank over all things.
So do not loose your mind when you see the fits I suggest!  That being said the below fit is optimized against ganking ships like the often used Catalyst, so Kinetic and Thermal damage is what we are tanking against in HiSec.  

Sub any T2 mod you cannot fit with a T1.

Hisec Procurer Ore/Ice Miner

High Slot - Ice or Ore Strip miner T1 or T2

Mid Slot -Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Mid Slot -Kinetic Invulnerability Field II
Mid Slot - Thermal Invulnerability Field II
Mid Slot - Medium Shield Extender II

Low Slot - Damage Control Unit II
Low Slot - Ice Harvester Upgrade II or Ore Harvester Upgrade II

Drones: 5xHobgoblins
             5xSalvager drone*

*I like to collect salvage so I can build rigs with them.

Null Sec miner

High Slot - Ice or Ore Strip miner T1 or T2

Mid Slot -Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Mid Slot -EM Invulnerability Field II
Mid Slot - User's choice
Mid Slot - Medium Shield Extender II

Low Slot - Damage Control Unit II
Low Slot - Ice Harvester Upgrade II or Ore Harvester Upgrade II


Drones:  5xWarriors *1
              5xEC-300 *2

*1 Warriors because are the fastest drone out there, and the best with keeping up with frigates, and Interceptors
*2 EC-300 If you are looking for a way out this is possibility if you are not looking for a fight and just getting out.

I am sure you can make all kinds of arguments as to why not to use these ships for mining, and you are right in a lot of instances.  The reality is if you want to minimize your chances of death from be it Neuts, or Suicide gankers.

How I do skilling has evolved, and will most likely cause the Eve L33t people to have a seizure.  I skill toward what I need or want at a given time, but it Alliance/Corp need or a ship I'd like to try out crazy I know!  Though I do it a bit differently I work week to week (does not work so well once you get to the longer skills) I work toward say flying a Gila.  I'll start working the requirements for that for a week, and once I finish that week I work toward Core skills following .

Core skills:  These vary just about everyone you talk to, but Eve University has a great list here:  http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Core_Skills

Basic top 5 skills:

Mechanics
Shield Management
Capacitor Management
CPU Management
Power Grid Management

Again the basic skills here, and only the beginning!

Anything after that, and skilling core skills on the Eve Uni list is a great start to helping you on your way with your path.

Basically go with whatever you want, but have a goal and work towards that.  Skill "core" skills as you can as they'll help you across the board.

Orion





No comments:

Post a Comment